Balclutha – “Town on the River Clyde” as it translates from its Scottish name.
Balclutha was settled by predominantly scottish pioneers in the early 1800’s
and the Scots have certainly left their mark on the town.
Balclutha is dominated by the mightly Clutha River which flows through the middle of the town
and the bridge crossing the Clutha was built in the 1930’s and is an impressive structure.
The Clutha river originates in the Central Otago highlands and winds its way out to the sea
passing through Balclutha as it goes.
Balclutha is a town of some 4500 people and services the surrounding farming community.