History of 687 Portobello Road

Chy-an-Dowr and Rosemary Retreat


Originally built as a single storey general store  in approx. 1905 and rebuilt in 1925 to the existing house, the general  store existed until 1971when it was converted to a private home.
In 1993  Chy~an~Dowr  opened as Boutique Accommodation and since then we have welcomed many guests from all over the world.


The original store was named the “Manapai Cash Store” and
owned by Archibald Weir, selling groceries and provisions
Archibald Weir also ran the harbour ferry the “Matariki” until 1909,
when it burnt at the water’s edge at Portobello.


Broad Bay was a popular holiday resort early 1900,
with ferries carrying up to 800 people from Dunedin
to the Otago Peninsula.


illiam Duff became the second owner of the
 “Manapai Cash Store”  from approx. 1910.

As seen on the photo a house was built beside the store,
but at some stage this house burnt down.

In approx. 1925 the existing house was built
above and around the existing store.

With the coming of the motor cars Broad Bay remained
a popular holiday destination.
Boating regattas and picnics were a popular pastime.


In the 1950’s there were petrol pumps at the front
and a bakery at the back of the building.
Rosemary Retreat apartment is located in part of the old Bakehouse.
For a while tearooms operated from the front side room.

It remained a general  store until the 1970’s when it
ceased trading and was converted to a private home..


In 1993 Chy~an~Dowr opened up as a Bed & Breakfast,
welcoming many guests from all over the world.

Rosemary Retreat opened as a self contained apartment
in what was originally the old Bakehouse in 2010 and
 has since enjoyed welcoming many guests.

Herman & Susan van Velthoven - 687 Portobello Road, Broad Bay, Otago Peninsula,  Dunedin, New Zealand
Ph: +64 3 478 0306            email
: hermanvv@xtra.co.nz




Home] [Guest suite] [Layout] [Guest Comments] [Map] [History] [Contact Us] [Rates] [About Us] [Book Now]