Chatto Creek situated 15 minutes from Clyde along the
Otago Central Rail Trail was established in 1886.
It is one of the gold mining towns that sprung up during the
Gold Rush of the 1800’s and some of the original buildings still remain today.
Remains of Moa eggs, the now extinct large flightless bird that once roamed New Zealand, were uncovered in Chatto Creek during the 1950’s,
sparking an expedition to the area by the Otago Musuem.
The Chatto Creek Tavern offers meals and accommodation,
there are also a number of Bed & Breakfasts in the area.